Sunday, May 6, 2012

We don't have much to report today. Dad continued to grow stronger. He was able to walk around the entire floor with just one person assisting. He was also able to sit up in the recliner for a good share of the day.

  Dad also continued to make progress during speech therapy, eliciting a laugh from everyone at a couple of his comments. As his brain continues to heal from the trauma and swelling, he still struggles with words and names. That should improve with time. He did indicate that he remembers his fall, but he did not want to talk or think about it, so we will not press the matter with him unless he is ready. It still takes all of his energy to speak or to make one lap of the hallway.

Kathie's husband Jim, who is visiting from California for a few days, was able to assist in giving Dad the sacrament and singing a hymn to him this morning. Tonight I played music for him as well, which caused him to tear up a few times (as well as tap his feet in time with a rousing song from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir). I think that his spirit needs healing along with his body. Hopefully we can help provide that for him.

  Of medical note, they were able to swap out Dad's trach for a smaller one today (they went from a 9 to a 6). The next step will be to remove the trach entirely, but they have to see how he does with this smaller one first. He seems to be doing fine with it so far.

The plan for tomorrow is to move Dad to the rehab floor where he can begin receiving more intense therapy. Dad is still not up to many visitors. We are able to sense that his current limitations are causing him some embarrassment and he does not seem to like having people see him in this state. We are very hopeful that he will continue progressing quickly so that he will be up to visiting with all of those who love him soon. We will keep you updated.

4 comments:

  1. Hi family
    I am so glad to her my favorite uncle is doing so good, please let him know, I love him,
    When I read about his loving music it brought back a wonderful talk I attended at education week a few years ago given by Michael Ballum,it was on having a musical first aid kit, and how it touches our soul like nothing can, it can heal in a way medicine can not, So play lots of he's favorites, and sing and sing and down load all those grand babies he love so Much singing and play it for him, and even love remains form all of us,,and know i am here if I can helping any way,
    Love you. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kendalls,
    Just wanted to leave a note of love and encouragement. We have followed your blog every day and dedicated our family fast today to Ed's continued healing. Having been through a similar situation with a family member who had a brain aneurism and reading about his daily progress has brought back a lot of memories. The small victories are so important and each recognition, memory or right answer to a question is a huge victory. The blessings and increased love you are gaining as a family are truly priceless and will become even more special when you have time to look back on this in the future. Continue the journey with love and faith. Ross and Karen Kunzler

    PS: Congratulations KELSEY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This family of mine,
    You make me want to be a better person and you uncle Ed, are a big part of that. I will never forget you, taking me under your wing and giving me a chance to work for you. You helped me get through school so I could better take care of my family. I will never forget that. I hold a special place in my heart for you. Thank you, I love you and your family I only hope that best for you. You are in my prayers.
    Get well soon
    Gary Kendall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendall Family,
    We've been following your daily blog entries, and look forward to reading your increasingly encouraging reports and observations each night. I appreciate the time you have taken to keep us all informed this way, and look forward to the time when Ed can tell us himself how he is feeling! I'm impressed with how your family has exhibited so much love and strength for your dad--he is very fortunate to have each one of you. If you look back at the first few entries, and then at these last few entries on this blog, it is amazing to see how his situation has improved so greatly in a few short weeks. Our family prays that he will continue to make great progress! Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete